The Tex Mex sandwich is an amazing flavor experience, featuring panko battered and deep fried bacon, spicy pulled pork, home made slaw and a sweet smoky maple BBQ sauce. What? Start with a pork butt or pork shoulders worth of pulled pork. The pulled pork can be made in the oven for this recipe, but I recommend that you slow smoke it in your BBQ pit for a deeper flavor profile.
- Start with one slow smoked pork butt. Shred the entire butt and throw in a crock pot.
- Add two grilled onions.
- I like to save time and blend 1 bunch of cilantro and about a cup of jalapenos. You can dice it if you have the extra time. Add to pork mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup chili powder.
- Add 1/4 cup cumin.
- Add 3/4 cup franks buffalo wing hot sauce.
- Simmer for and hour or so.
Now that you have your spicy pork mixture go ahead and start breading your bacon. Cut your bacon strips in half. Dredge bacon in flour, egg and then panko bread crumbs.
Now we are going to put this heavenly sandwich together. First brown your bun on the grill add two deep fried strips of bacon. Cook the bacon until the panko is a nice golden brown. Add your spicy pulled pork mixture. Top it off with home made coleslaw and smoky maple BBQ sauce.
Oh man! This is like going to flavor town. Spicy, sweet, smoky, savory, and crunchy.