You are in for a real treat. This is my flag ship BBQ sauce. If you like spicy this sauce is out of this world. The best part though is the depth of the flavor profile. It has a lot of different ways to tickle your tongue. To do it right though you are gonna need a smoker. Grab a little chief smoker at a garage sale or off the internet. It will only run you $50 or so and it will really take your cooking to the next level. I have an actual BBQ pit, because I just fell in love with this style of cooking.
So while you are smoking ribs, pulled pork, brisket or chicken you can also be making this awesome BBQ sauce. Just toss 13 or so nice sized jalapenos on your smoker and smoke them until they are soft and wrinkled.
- Start with 1 huge can of Hunts tomato ketchup
- Add 5 pounds of honey
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 cup of onion powder
- 1 cup of garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons of sea salt
- 1/2 cup cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup of molasses
- After the jalapenos are smoked cut the stems off and blend with 1 bunch of fresh cilantro. Add the smoked jalapeno/cilantro sauce to the paste.
- Zest two limes and add to sauce.
- Add about 24 cup of brown sugar.
Simmer until smooth.