What should I bring to the potluck, family reunion or BBQ? Home made coleslaw is always a favorite. I know what you are thinking, nobody likes coleslaw. That is generally true, because most coleslaw comes from a bag and it was made days or weeks ago. Plus it is usually so bland. This never fail slaw recipe is sweet and sassy. It definitely has a addictive zip. There is nothing better than same day coleslaw. It has that perfect texture and flavor. This is best when made 1-2 hours before serving.
Slaw is more than just a side dish, it is also a condiment. Slaw is an amazing topping for burgers, pulled pork sandwiches, sloppy Joes, hot dogs, brats, beef brisket sandwiches, fish sandwiches, tacos and more.
This recipe will serve 15-20, so cut it in half if you like.
- Chop two large heads of green cabbage.
- Chop 1 head medium or small head of red cabbage.
- Dice 1 medium red onion.
- Dice 1 bunch of fresh dill.
- Grate 3-4 medium size carrots. It is quickly done by a food processor if you have one, otherwise use your cheese grater.
- Salt and pepper the top. I always use coarse black pepper and sea salt. I try to imagine it like I’m a giant and this is a portion on my plate. I sprinkle across the top accordingly. This is a never fail way to season your slaw. LOL
Making the sauce.
- Use 1 cup of natural sugar.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of red wine vinegar.
- Add 1 cup of plain mayo.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of cream.
- Beat with a wisk until smooth.
- Poor over coleslaw mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and refrigerate until serving time.
You are going to love this slaw. You will never look at coleslaw the same. You are about to be ruined forever. In fact, now when that old, gross, slaw comes out onto your plate at a restaurant you will be thinking hard pass.